KALE, BLACK BEAN, & AVOCADO BOWL
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
For the brown rice:
- 1 cup brown rice, rinsed (short grain/arborio or long grain/basmati recommended)
- ¼ tsp. salt
For the lime-marinated kale:
- 1 bunch curly kale, ribs removed and chopped into small, bite-sized pieces
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. salt
For the avocado salsa verde:
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced into big chunks
- ½ cup mild salsa verde
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
For the seasoned black beans:
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Cook the rice: Bring a big pot of water to a boil, dump in rinsed brown rice, and boil, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Turn off the heat, drain the rice, and return it to the pot. Cover and let the rice steam in the pot for 10 minutes, then fluff the rice with a fork and season with ¼ tsp. salt, or more to taste.
- Make the kale salad: Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, chopped jalapeño, cumin, and salt. Toss the chopped kale with the lime marinade in a mixing bowl.
- Make the avocado salsa verde: In a food processor or blender, combine the avocado chunks, salsa verde, cilantro, and lime juice and blend well.
- Warm the beans: In a saucepan, warm 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium–low heat. Sauté the shallot and garlic until fragrant, then add the beans, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Cook until the beans are warmed through and softened, stirring often, about 5 to 7 minutes. If the beans seem dry at any point, mix in a splash of water.
- To serve, spoon generous portions of rice, beans, and kale salad into a bowl along with a couple spoonfuls of avocado salsa verde.