The foods we choose to eat dramatically influence our health. Your diet is a contributor to your body’s internal environment and our food choices really do matter.
Study after study suggest a diet with an emphasis on plant foods – one that is rich in a variety of vegetables, fruits, legumes (beans) and less meat/animal foods can help fight cancer. When the majority of our diet is from foods coming from a plant over those that are processed in a plant then we are consuming more fiber, vitamins, minerals and powerful plant compounds.
This is placing emphasis on whole-real plant foods.
If you think working in more plant foods into the diet is daunting, you are not alone.
Here are 5 simple food swaps to incorporate more plant foods into the diet:
Consider replacing ….
- Mayonnaise with a mashed avocado. Could always add a little lemon juice + sea salt to easily create a creamy binder
- Regular pasta with spiralized zucchini
- Croutons with pumpkin seeds or sliced almonds
- Bread with a lettuce wrap or a portabella mushroom
- Pizza crust with cauliflower crust
Now that wasn’t too hard!
Come and learn more strategies on using your kitchen and fork to help fight cancer.
Maple Tree offers a monthly class called Harnessing The Power of The Diet To Help Fight Cancer. This free class is offered the second Monday of the month, 1-2 pm at Kettering Cancer Center in their first floor classroom.
Hope you can join us!
Allison Dunaway RDN