by Emily Goodpaster
If you’re anything like me, this time of year means you want everything pumpkin!!! Everything around seems to be pumpkin donuts, pumpkin bread, pumpkin coffee, etc. So I am here today to share a healthier pumpkin bread recipe! This is one of my favorites and it’s super easy to make gluten free, if needed!
– 2 tbsp canola oil or coconut oil
– 1/2 cup honey
– 1 large egg at room temperature
– 1/3 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt at room temperature
– 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
– 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
– 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
– 1/4 tsp ground cloves
– 1/4 tsp kosher salt
– 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour (can sub with gluten free flour)
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- In a bowl, whisk the oil and honey together until smooth. Add the Greek yogurt and the egg. Whisk again. Make sure the ingredients are smooth and well blended. Whisk in the pumpkin purée and vanilla.
- Add the baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt, then stir to combine. Mix in the flour, then gently mix until the flour disappears.
- Things you can add in include: chocolate chips, nuts, apple chunks, etc..
- Spread the batter into a loaf pan. Be sure to spray the sides of the pan to avoid sticking.
- Bake the pumpkin bread for 30 minutes, then remove the pan and cover with foil to keep the top from becoming too dark. Return the bread to the oven to continue baking for another 25 to 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for 5 minutes. Enjoy!
Making healthy eating choices can be hard, but it’s easier when you make small healthier changes to things you love!