Did you know that in a normal, healthy population, more than 50% of people who begin an exercise program drop out within the first 6 months?
Of those who remain, more than 50% of them will drop out over the next 6 months.
This means that only 1 out of every 4 people who begin an exercise program this year are likely to still be exercising next year.
Therefore, it should come as no surprise to you that less than 5% of all adults participate in 30 minutes of physical activity every day.
One of the biggest reasons adults give for not exercising is that they are just too busy!
I think we’ve all been there. Everyone is busy! No matter what season of life you are in, we all feel the day-to-day pressures of life. I’ve had times in my own life where I just feel like I am treading water to survive!
However, I firmly believe that exercise should be a priority – no matter what your current season of life or health status is. There are just too many benefits associated with exercise to excuse a sedentary lifestyle!
Beginning an exercise program might feel a little daunting, so I want to help give you a few pointers to help you *sneak* exercise into your day!
- Schedule it! I am a big fan of Leadership Coach, Michael Hyatt. His motto is “what gets scheduled gets done”, and I could not agree more! I live and die by my calendar. I get so much joy from crossing things off my to do list!! I know that if I write down that I need to exercise that day, it will get done – if only for the sole purpose of being able to cross it off my list!
- Bring a Friend! People who schedule exercise sessions with a friend are more likely to be compliant with their exercise program. Why? Because having a friend will keep you accountable! Who wants to let their friends down?! Not only will you be more motivated to fit exercise into your busy schedule, but you will also get some social time, as well!
- Efficiency is key! If you don’t have hours to spend at the gym, consider shorter workouts like HIIT, Tabata, or circuit training. These workouts can easily be completed in under 30 minutes, and boost your energy for the rest of the day!
- Train for something….anything! It is true – registering for a competition will help you make and stick to a schedule! Consider setting the goal of running a 5K this spring. Most 5K training programs can be completed in as little as 3 days a week, 20 minutes each day! Before you know it, you will be ready to run! And to keep it extra fun, train with a buddy!
- Use your down time! I learned this tip when I was 5 years old and my parents sent me to school early to exercise with my gym teacher. He taught me to exercise during commercials! Even if it is just jogging in place or standing calf raises – the tv commercials give you time to sneak in a few quick moves!
- Take the stairs! Taking the stairs instead of the elevator is a very simple way to fit exercise into your busy schedule. You can also park further away from your office to get in more steps. Walk while you’re on the phone. Do a few extra squats while you’re changing the laundry. You get the picture! There are plenty of ways you can sneak a few extra moments of activity into your day!
- Make it fun! Last but certainly not least, exercise should be FUN! I know, I know, most people don’t look at it that way! But it is true! Pick something you actually enjoy doing and you will be more likely to stick to it! If you hate to run, DON’T RUN! If you don’t want to ride your bike, DON’T RIDE! Find something that you do enjoy and do that!
My challenge to you is to pick at least one of these tips TODAY and implement them into your busy schedule! Test yourself. If it doesn’t work, that is fine. Stop doing that and pick something else! Keep trying until you find something that works. Simply take it one step at a time and before you know it, you will be running that 5K!