TOMATO BASIL SOUP
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 70 minutes
For the roasted tomatoes:
- 3 pounds roma or plum tomatoes, cut in half
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
For the caramelized onions:
- ½ tbsp. olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
Additions to the soup:
- ½ cup packed basil leaves
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1–2 cups water or vegetarian broth
- Freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place halved tomatoes and garlic cloves on the baking sheet and drizzle with 3 tbsp. of olive oil. Generously season with salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 40–45 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, make the caramelized onions: Add ½ tbsp. olive oil to a large pot and place over medium heat. Add onion slices, and stir to coat the onions with olive oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they have caramelized and turned golden, about 20 minutes.
- Once tomatoes and garlic are done roasting, allow them to cool for 10 minutes. Add them to a food processor and blend until smooth. Next, add basil and caramelized onions and blend again.
- After blending, transfer back to pot, turn to medium–low heat and add in oregano, vegetarian broth, salt, and pepper to taste. Allow tomato soup to simmer 10 minutes before serving.