(Nutrition info per serving, ¼ of recipe)
Carbs: 40 g
Fat: 13 g
Protein: 9 gQuinoa is a high protein, gluten free seed that is rich in B-vitamins, iron, magnesium, potassium, calcium, vitamin E and a good dose of fatty acids.
Pomegranate contains powerful plant compounds that have valuable medicinal properties. Their antioxidants found in the fruit provide a wonderful anti-inflammatory effect and are said to help fight cancer. They are also beneficial for lowering blood pressure and help with arthritis and joint pain. There is also some evidence that the seeds help to improve memory and heart health.
Pistachios are a good source of beneficial dietary fat and are known to help reduce blood cholesterol. They also contain a good source of minerals.
Green peas are rich in vitamin B1 and are a good source of vitamin C, K and folic acid.
Together these ingredients provide a very satisfying meal that promotes healthy metabolism whilst providing your body with a great dose of protein, fiber, healthy fats, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
- 3 cups (420g) cooked quinoa, cooled*
- 1.5 tbsp. (30ml) extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp. (60ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced (or 3 spring onions, finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup (10g) fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 cup (10g) fresh parsley, chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen baby peas
- Arils (seeds) from 1 pomegranate**
- 1/3 cup (45g) pistachios, roughly chopped
- Pinch pink salt and cracked black pepper
- In a mixing bowl combine cooked and chilled quinoa with olive oil, lemon zest and juice.
- Stir through red onion, mint and parsley.
- In a small heatproof bowl pour boiling water over peas to thaw (leave for 2-4 minutes). Drain well.
- Stir through peas and pomegranate seeds through quinoa.
- Season to taste.
- Add pistachios just before serving.
- I cook my quinoa in a rice cooker using the ratio 1 cup quinoa: 1 1/4 cups water = 3 cups or follow stove top cooking instructions here.
- **To remove seeds from a pomegranate – use the palm of your hand to roll the whole pomegranate on a flat surface with a little pressure to loosen the seeds (you will hear them loosen). Cut pomegranate in half and use the back of a spoon to hit the outer skin so the seeds pop out below.
- Add diced avocado.
- Serve with additional protein such as chicken, prawns or fish.